Another day and another odd ball issue with Skype for Buiness and Polycom VVX Phones. So hopefully this helps someone along the way.
So I have an existing common area phone that is attempting to pin auth into a server. The customer has CX600 phones and looking to replace those phones with new VVX phones as part of a larger replacement. When the customer attempted to pin auth with their existing accounts, the phones will not pin auth correctly. We pulled out a CX 600 phone again and was able to login without any issues.
One of the big advantages of a VVX phones is the ability to look at the logs. When we opened up the Diagnostics and Logs we see this:
If you notice in the logs, it’s trying to register to ‘domain.c’. As you can most likely guess, this isn’t the domain name for the organization.
So we have a log of common area phones so we are using a 36 digit guid as the SIP address. The domain itself is 24 characters long. For example:
Well, as you guessed, there is apparently a maximum number of characters in the SIP name for the VVX phones in order to Pin Auth. We shortened the guid by 2 letters and suddenly the phone was able to login without any issues. We tested all the way to 5.4.5 software release.
Hopefully this is an easy fix on Polycom’s part. I tried to create a ticket for this but I’m not allowed to so they closed it immediately. 🙁