Everyone once in a while I step outside the Lync/Skype for Business world and do some fiddling around with Exchange. In my home lab, I setup Office 365 integration with my test tenant. I’ve been doing all sorts of migrations from Exchange 2013 On-Premise to Office 365 and had no problems. Today, I wanted to move one of those mailboxes back on-prem and it failed.
While playing around on the Exchange Online, I ran this command to get log information from the O365 side:
Get-MigrationUserStatistics -IncludeReport -Identity firstname.lastname@example.org | fl
When running this, I found this error:
ERROR MESSAGE: Transient error ResourceUnhealthyException has occurred. The system will retry.
While doing multiple searches I couldn’t find a particular fix to this issue. While searching for transient error message, I found people having issues with their Exchange DAGs. Everyone led to running this command:
This lead to two different possible solutions. I tried this solution first:
- Create a new Active Directory group that is named “ContentSubmitters”. Right click on the group, select Security tab and then grant Admistrators and NetworkService full access to the group.
- Force or wait for Active Directory replication.
- Restart the following services:
- Microsoft Exchange Search
- Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller
I did this, waited for a long time and it didn’t seem to fix the issue. So I turned to the second solution for a Failed ContentIndexState and that is to delete the full-text index catalog directory. Since I’m an Exchange newb I did some searching to make sure I didn’t screw up anything.
The steps were easy.
- Stop the Microsoft Exchange Search and Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller.
- Go to the directory where the Exchange Database Index is in a failed state. Find the folder GUID and delete this folder. Personally, I moved mine to another drive just to make sure I had a copy but I’m sure I didn’t need to.
- Start the Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller. Wait a few minutes and then start the Microsoft Exchange Search service.
After these steps, the ContentIndexState changes from Failed to Crawling:
I than went back to the Office 365 Portal and attempted my mailbox migration and my migration from Office 365 to On-Prem completed successfully.